martes, 1 de febrero de 2011

Ground Hog Day!


Ground Hog Day Story

A ground hog is a small animal that digs and lives under the ground. It is also called the woodchuck. Ground hogs live in many parts of America. In the winter they hibernate like bears and some other animals.

There is a legend that says a few hundred years ago Europeans brought Ground Hog Day to America. They said that the ground hog wakes up from his hibernation on February 2. (February 2 is half way between winter and spring.) If he comes up from his hole and it is sunny, he will see his shadow and be frightened. If he sees his shadow, there will be 6 more weeks of winter weather. But if he comes up and the sky is cloudy, he will not see his shadow and will not be frightened. Then spring weather will come very soon.

Some people believe this legend and they watch the sky on February 2. Many people are happy if it is cloudy on that day. They think spring will come soon. But most people think it is just a fun legend. What do you think?

Answer the following questions:

Do you believe in this legend?

Should we trust a ground hog for information about when spring begins?

What is the name of the town in the USA where Ground Hog Day is celebrated by many people?

What is the name of the most famous ground hog?

Vocabulary

to hibernate (verb)- to sleep through the winter.

hibernation (noun)- comes from hibernate (long sleep through the winter).

legend- old story that is told from parents to children, and children's children, and so on for many, many years.

shadow- darkness made where the light can't go through (when the sun shines you can see the dark outline of your body on the ground).

spring- one of the four seasons, the one that comes after winter and before summer.

Tongue Twister - Woodchuck Challenge:

Try to say the following sentence without making any mistakes…then try to say it faster!

”How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?”

17 comentarios:

  1. I think it's a legend, I do not think it can change the weather, but all the way this year will come later spring, haha:)
    It's actually very interesting.
    bye:)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think it's a legend, I do not think it can change the weather, but all the way this year will come later spring, haha
    It's actually very interesting.
    bye:)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Nice!
    If it's true, I hope that spring arrives as fast as possible because I hate cold days!
    See u! ^^

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hello, I am called Ana Colchero.
    Not wise I who existed a special day for the marmot, believe that it is true. Also I believe that there are many animals that possess skills. The day of the marmot comes from Pennsylvania. The marmot mas known is Carlos Beloeil.
    I like much that they celebrate this day
    Thank you very much, kisses!
    Ana (;

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Sometimes one can trust legends. I think we had a cloudy day last February 2nd. So let's hope we have an early srping. It's being too cold this winter. About the film, poor Phil!!!I love Bill Murray.

    Julia

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Spring!! I´m not sure if I trust a ground hog to tell me what the weather will be like. But, if the ground hog says that winter will be here soon then I'm happy! However, I would be fine with a long winter if I could just crawl back into my home and hibernate for six more weeks like the ground hog!

    -Samuel

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hello everybody! I'm David V!
    Unbelievable..! Haha, it's very funny when the groundhog is driving. I want a groundhog... haha. But, I don't think the groundhog can change the weather. -.-''

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Hello! I think it's a funny legend, but not very reliable. As you can see, last 2nd February it was cloudy and today it's rainning a lot!
    The Grounhog day is celebrated in Punxsutawney, on Pennsylvania. Each 2nd Febrary they pay attention if the groundhog Phil sees his shadow or not.

    Javi

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Hi(:
    - Well, I think that is a little irrialistic but I belive it.
    - Only for some people because other people don´t belive it.
    - This happens in Punxsutawney (Pennsylvania.
    - The most famous goround hog is Wiarton.

    Kisses! (:


    Julia.

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Hello!
    I am Alvaro Cepeda.
    I didn't believe in this leyend, but maybe the ground hog has reason.
    The day of the ground hog comes from Pennsylvania.
    Ground hog best know is called Carlos Beloil.
    I think that this is very interesting ^^
    bye! :D

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Hi, I'm Rocio Franco (2ºB)...
    Well, these are my answers:
    -I do not believe in this legend because a ground hog can not predict the weather.
    -No, I repeat, because a groundhog can not predict the weather.
    -This year was held in Montreal, Canada and Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
    -The ground hog most famous is Phil de Punxsutawney, en Pensilvania.

    That's all. Kisses!!! (:

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Hi!I'm Elena Larios.
    I think this story is true.
    -The day of the groundhog comes from Pennsylvania.
    -The groundhog predicts the end of winter.

    I like this story.

    Bye!;)

    ResponderEliminar
  13. Hi, I am Mónica (2º C)...(:
    Well,...I think that story is not real, although it would be very nice if it were true.This year was held in Montreal, Canada and Punxsutawney from Pennsylvania. The ground hog most famous is Phil de Punxsutawney, in Pennsylvania.
    So that's all. Kisses!!! (:

    ResponderEliminar
  14. Hello! I'm Ángel (2ºA).

    I don't believe in this legend because the graund hog can't know the weather.

    The graund hod day is celebrated in Punxsutawney, on Pennsylvania.

    The name of the more famous graund hog is Carlos Beloil.

    That's all. Bye!

    ResponderEliminar
  15. Hello! I'm Ana Mª.
    I think that is a legend because the groundhog don't predict the wheater.
    The Grounhog day is celebrated in Punxsutawney, on Pennsylvania.

    Bye :)

    ResponderEliminar
  16. I'm Beatriz!
    I think that the story is no true, so is false.
    Really I think that the animal, groundhog can't predict the weather in these countries. But the legend it's very interesting and amazing :D
    Lost kisses!(;

    ResponderEliminar
  17. I think that is a legend.... I think that this story is false...

    ResponderEliminar

Your opinion matters