miércoles, 9 de marzo de 2011

St. Patrick's Day!


St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and the Irish. He was born about 389 A.D. in Northern Wales, which at that time may have been part of England or Scotland.

Saint Patrick had an adventurous life. He was captured by pirates at the age of 16. The Irish pirates brought him to Ireland to tend the flocks of a chieftain in Ulster. Six years of slavery made him a devoted Christian. He escaped to France and became a monk. In 432, he returned to Ireland as a missionary bishop. He brought Christianity to Ireland and taught there for 29 years. He used the shamrock, a 3 leaf clover, (Ireland's national flower) to explain the Blessed Trinity. St. Patrick founded 365 churches, baptized over 120,000 people and consecrated 450 bishops.

Many tales were told about this popular saint. One of the most popular legends was how he charmed all the snakes of Ireland down to the seashore to be drowned by the water. According to some Irish writings, St. Patrick died on March 17, 461 A.D. The anniversary of his death is celebrated as St. Patrick's Day. It's interesting to note that the shamrock clover flowers around that time of year.

Today St. Patrick's Day is celebrated by the Irish as well as many others with parades, parties, wearing of the color green, Irish songs and jigs. People wear green on this day to represent the lushness of Ireland - The Emerald Isle

Respond to the following questions:
  1. What country is St. Patrick associated with?
  2. Why is the shamrock special on St. Patrick's Day?
  3. Why do people wear green on St. Patrick's Day?
  4. What will you do for St. Patrick's Day? How will you celebrate?

Vocabulary
To tend – cuidar de
Flocks - rebaños
Devoted – devote
Monk – monje
Shamrock – trébol
Blessed Trinity – la Santísima Trinidad
To baptize – bautizar
To consecrate – consagrar
To charm – encantar
To drown – ahogar
Jig – un baile
Lushness – exuberancia de vegetación

Looking at the pictures that you can see, write a caption (a short sentence) for each one.


16 comentarios:

  1. Hi! I'm Elena Larios from 2nd A Bilingual.

    I think that ST.Patrick's Day is very great and very funny!!
    St. Patrick's Day is celebrated by the Irish.

    Byee! :D

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I'm Beatriz!
    I think thah St. Patrick's day is a very important caracter because he is the patron of Ireland and Irish.
    I like very much the photos and I will like that some doy we also celebrate this in high school, maybe it was interesting.
    It looks very funny and exciting!
    Lots kisses!(;

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I'm Manuel Eusebio! from 2ºA Billingual and I think ST. Patrick's day is very important for the Irish because is his day. Is very funny and interesting.
    See you tomorrow !

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Many people say that St Patrick grazed his sheep on Slemish mountain, which is very close to my house! I hope you all had a lovely St Patricks day, i had a really nice one here in Northern Ireland. See you all soon!!! Love, Klara.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hello... I'm Rocio Franco from 2ºB Billingual.
    I think that St. Patrick's Day is very interesting because it draws over 400,000 people. I think too that is very very funny.
    I like this celebration because I love the color green and it is all green!! :D
    Well, kisses! Bye :)

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I'm Juan Carlos!
    I think that St. Patrick's day is a very important for Ireland because is funny!

    Bye Bye! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Hello! I'm Javi, from 3º Bilingüe
    So, Saint Patrick's day is celebrated around all over the world, but originaly it comes from Ireland.
    The Shamrock is special because it's the irish symbol and it represents the hole trinity.
    People wear green clothes to represent the lushness of ireland.
    If I were so lucky as to celebrate St Patrick's, I will have a great time! I will wear green clothes, drink green "juice" and enjoy it a lot! ;)

    Kisses, Javi ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Hi Juan Antonio,

    I'm sure you mean FUNNY

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Hello, I'm Jesús.
    I think thah St. Patrick's day that is very importan for the people of Ireland and Irish because he is his patron.
    The photos are very interesting.
    bye bye!

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Hello! I am David Mellado!!! I don´t like the green colour but I think that is a funny day.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. I'm Maria Aragon
    I think that St. Patricks days is a important day because is celebrated internationally and it commemorates Saint Patrick on 17 March
    Kisses! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Helloo!
    I´m Jorge! from 3ºA bilingual.
    I like so much this festivity! I´d like to wear green clothes and drink beer!

    Bye! :)

    ResponderEliminar
  13. Hello everybody!
    This day is very important!
    I like this day! ;)

    ResponderEliminar
  14. Hello!!! I am David Mellado!! I think that this day is a very important for Iris people and I like drink beer too jejeje :)

    ResponderEliminar
  15. Hi! My name is Valeriia!
    This day is very important, but is very rare :)
    That's all. Thank you very much! :]

    ResponderEliminar

Your opinion matters