miércoles, 10 de febrero de 2010

Valentines Day story!


Here is a nice little Valentines Day story to brighten your day!! :)



Once upon a time there was a little Prince, and he wanted to give a valentines day gift to a little Princess who lived in another kingdom. She was a very beautiful little Princess indeed, for her smile was as bright as her beautiful hair, and her love for her friends was as deep as her blue eyes.
"What kind of a gift shall I get for the Princess?" the Prince asked.
"A heart, your Highness; nothing but a heart will do!" said his friend.
"A beautiful heart, your Highness; nothing but a beautiful heart will do!" said his lady friends.
"A priceless heart, your Highness; nothing but a priceless heart will do!" said his best friend.
So the Prince began looking for a heart valentines gift for the little Princess that would be both beautiful and priceless, and he did not know where to find it.
Before long, though, he came to a jeweller's shop that was full of pretty, expensive things to wear. There were bracelets, and necklaces made of silver and gold, and set with rubies, and sapphires and diamonds.
"This is the place to find a valentine for the little Princess," thought the Prince, and he selected a diamond heart on a gold chain for the little Princess to wear around her neck.
The Prince gave the jeweller his bag of gold and began to leave the shop with the diamond heart in his hand. But he stopped at the door, looking at the heart. It was now dull. What was wrong with it, he wondered. Then he remembered. It was not the right valentine for the little Princess because it had been bought with his bag of gold. So the Prince gave the diamond heart back to the jeweller, and went on again.
After the Prince had gone quite far he came to a pastry shop. It was full of delicious things to eat, jam tarts, and little strawberry pies, frosted cakes, and plum buns. In the window of the pastry shop was a huge cake baked in the shape of a heart. It looked sweet and delicious and the sugar on the top was almost as thick as the cake itself.
"This is the place to find my gift for the little Princess!" thought the Prince, and he pointed to the big heart cake in the window. "How much must I pay for this cake?" he asked the pastry cook."Oh, you cannot buy that cake!" the pastry cook replied. "I made it as a decoration for the shop for Valentine's Day. But I will give it to you."
So the Prince thanked the pastry cook, and started out of the shop with the big cake.
"This must be the right gift for the little Princess, because I could not buy it," he thought.
Then the Prince almost dropped the cake. It had become too heavy for him to carry. What was the matter with the delicious, big cake? Then he remembered. It was not the right valentine for the little Princess because something delicious to eat is not beautiful. So the Prince gave the cake back to the pastry cook, and went on again.
He went a long, long way, and he came to a bird seller beside the road. He had little gold birds, and bright-colored ones in green cages. They were all singing very loudly, but the Prince could hear one small note above the others, because it was so clear and beautiful. It was the song of a little dove who sat in her cage away from the others. The Prince thought he had never seen such a beautiful little dove, as white as snow, and with red feet.
"Why does she sing much more sweetly than the others?" the Prince asked, pointing to the little white dove.
The bird seller smiled.
"She sings because of her heart," he said. "The other birds sing when the sun shines, but look"—he held up the dove's cage, and the Prince saw that the little white dove was blind. "She sings in the dark because she has a happy heart," the bird seller said.
"Can I buy her," the Prince asked, "to give as a gift to a little Princess?"
"Oh, I will give her to you," the bird seller said. "Very few people want to take care of a blind bird."
But the little Princess did. She liked the white dove better than any other gift. She put her cage in a rose tree in the garden, and she often asked the Prince to sit with her under the tree and listen to the dove singing.


The End.


Vocabulary

once upon a time - érase una vez
kingdom- reino
deep- intenso
brighten- alegrar
Prince- Príncipe
Princess- Princesa
heart- corazón
a jeweller's shop- una joyería
bracelet- pulsera
necklace- collar
silver and gold- plata y oro
ruby- rubí
sapphire- zafiro
diamond- diamante
neck- cuello
dull- apagado
pastry- pasteles
delicious- delicioso
jam tart- tarta de mermelada
frosted- glaseado
plum bun- tarta de ciruela
sugar - azúcar
thick- gordo
cook- cocinero
beautiful- hermoso
bird seller- un vendedor de pájaros
cage- jaula
to sing- cantar
clear- claro
dove- paloma
snow- nieve
feet- pies
sweetly- melodioso
to shine- brillar
blind- ciego
dark- oscuridad
to take care of- cuidarse
rose tree- un rosal
garden- jardín
under- debajo de
to listen- escuchar

24 comentarios:

  1. I am Maria Cristina Pardo Bella. I like the story because is very beautiful but I don't like the end because the dove appears to be a story of peace so I don't like the end. Bye !
    My valentine's complement is : I think you are wonderful and incredible

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi everybody! I'm Ana from 2ºBilingual.
    I like very much the story, it's very beautiful!
    The end is so lovely!:)Is the part that I like the most, because the prince and the princess listen to the dove under a tree! (L)

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I am Bianca and I like the story because it is very interesting for me!!!

    my compliment: my heart is yours

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I'M LUCIA ,I THINK THIS STORY IS VERY VERY BAD , BECAUSE I DON'T UNDESTAND THE STORY
    COMPLIMENT:
    LIFE IS GOOD WITH YOU AROUND

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Hellooo! I'm Cristina Gutiérrez.
    I like the story. My favourtite part is the start because is so beautiful! :D
    My valentine's complement is: You are creative!
    byee!

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I am Rocio de los Santos my personal opinion is that the story is very very beautiful and the saint valentine's day too! I like the story very much because it is very sentimental and very very interesting.

    My complement is: you are the sunshine of my life. :)
    By, by!:]

    ResponderEliminar
  7. I'm David Mellado.I don't like this story because is very boring.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. hi!!I am anca.
    I like the story very much because is cool and interesting. My favourite part is the end.
    My valentine's complement is: you sing like an angel.
    bye! :D

    ResponderEliminar
  9. HELLO! I'm Javi. I think the story was a...POO! I think it's stupid, and I don't really like it. WHY THE PRINCE CANNOT GIFT A JEWEL OR A CAKE TO THE PRINCESS, BUT HE CAN GIFT HER A DOVE?...
    MY COMPLIMENT: YOU MAKE ME SMILE

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por un administrador del blog.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. I`m Jorge , I think that the story it is a little stupid because I don`t like San valentine`s day .

    My compliment is " you are the sunshine of my life "

    ResponderEliminar
  13. I am María Sánchez Cruz. I like the story because is very beautiful.
    It is sentimental. My valentine's complement is:Life is good with you around

    ResponderEliminar
  14. Be careful everybody and watch SPELLING and GRAMMAR. You are sending COMPLIMENTS, not COMPLEMENTS

    Here is mine: YOU MAKE ME SMILE

    ResponderEliminar
  15. Hi!!!! I am David V!!! I like this story but I don´t like... It´s beautiful but is a little stupid and... boring =)
    My compliment is: You warm my heart!! jijiji

    ResponderEliminar
  16. hello! I'm javi...again! OK, when I said gift, I wanted to say sell...sorry!

    ResponderEliminar
  17. Javier, the story is not POO!!!!! Klara.

    ResponderEliminar
  18. Hi!!! I´m jesús I think taht the story is very, very tweed... I don´t like
    It´s very easy to give a present

    ResponderEliminar
  19. I´m rocio fuentes diaz my opinion of the story is good because it is very nice, but the ending i don´t like.

    My compliment is: You are the apple of my eyes. jejeje :$

    ResponderEliminar
  20. I´m jesus i remember my compliment now: you wear nice clothes

    ResponderEliminar
  21. Rocío Fuentes, watch your grammar. I don't like the ending, (word order)

    ResponderEliminar
  22. hello! I am Ana María I like the story is very nice and the end is very interesting.

    My compliment is :you sing like an angel.
    Bye!!

    ResponderEliminar
  23. Hello! I am María Aragon I like the story because is very beautiful and interesting but I don't like the end!

    my compliment: You wear nice clothes
    Bye!

    ResponderEliminar

Your opinion matters